2022. The Beauty of Michoacán: Morelia, Butterfly Migration and Patzcuaro
Time & Location
About the Event
POSTPONED DUE TO COVID. WE WILL KEEP YOU POSTED ON THE NEXT ONE.
Join us for 7 days/6 nights in Mexico's avocado capital! Our home base will be UNESCO World Heritage site, the city of Morelia ,known for its colonial architecture and also the capital of the state of Michoacán.
Cost $995 USD if deposit is paid by November 30, 2020 and $1195 USD anytime after.
A non-refundable $300 deposit is required by November 30, 2020 to reserve your spot. Balance is due by January 2, 2021. No refunds will be issued for this trip and travel insurance is required for this trip. We recommend World Nomads Insurance link here.
What is included:
- Accommodations in comfortable, private residence in the center of town with your own bedroom - Please let us know if you require 2 separate beds, as there are only 2 bedrooms that have 2 separate beds, the other 3 rooms have 1 king bed.
- Transportation between and within cities to all activities on the itinerary.
- English-speaking guides for butterfly sanctuary and guided city walking tour.
- All museum and attraction admissions.
- Breakfast and lunch every day.
- Welcome dinner
What’s NOT included:
- Tips/gratuities for guides
- Travel insurance
- Admission and transportation to activities not included in the itinerary
- Dinners other than the initial welcome dinner
***Space limited and available upon receipt of $300 non-refundable deposit. Only direct bank tranfers (Zelle/Chase) and Venmo at @alma-tilghman accepted.
Day 1 (Wed 2/10)
- Arrive at Morelia Intl. Airport (MLM) A driver will great you at the arrivals area and take you directly to the private residence.
- Evening welcome dinner at local restaurant - PLEASE ADVISE OF ANY DIETARY RESTRICTIONS
Day 2 (Thurs 2/11)
- Breakfast served in home
- Guided walking tour of historic center of Morelia
- Lunch at local restaurant
- Rest of the day open for you to explore
Day 3 (Fri 2/12)
- 2.5 hour drive from our home - today we will visit the Sierra Chincua Sanctuary and experience the monarch butterfly migration.
- Early 7:30am breakfast
- Car leaves at 8am.
- Arrive 10:30am - walk or horseback ride to butterfly site - 1 hour hike. We will have about 90 minutes to soak up the butterflies.
- Return to park exit by 2:30pm
- 20 minutes from the park, have lunch and explore the magical town of Angangeo.
- 4pm - Ready to head back to Morelia
- Arrival 7pm Apprx - Evening free
Day 4 (Sat 2/13)
- After yesterday's butterfly hike, you'll want to sleep in and enjoy breakfast at home.
- TBD afternoon cooking class /chocolate tasting experience
- Most of the day free for you continue exploring Morelia, we can visit the markets and do some shopping or just relax in the plaza listening to music, and hanging with the locals.
Day 5 (Sunday 2/14)
- An 1 hour ride from our home, today we will spend the day visiting the place that inspired the Day of the Dead scenes from the movie "Coco" the town of Patzcuaro and its neighboring island of Janitzio, a focal point for the indigenous Purépecha people.
- Leave home at 9:30am and get back around 5:30pm.
Day 6 (2/15)
- Last day to explore the city of Morelia and get in some last minute shopping.
Day 7 (2/16)
- Departure day - Check out 11am PST and arrange airport pick-ups.
*Weather tends to range between 75-80 degrees farenheit during this time. Evening can get cool, very Southern California like weather.